We are living during unprecedented times of Covid-19. As a part of our Mental Health Matters Initiative we are trying to provide resources on mental health and emotional resilience for all.
1. AshaUSA is partnering with India Association of Minnesota as a Covid Response Team.
2. If you are looking for culturally specific mental health providers in Twincities visit the "Resources tab" on this website. (ashausa.org/resources )
3. Here is a brief 6 minute podcast message on taking care of Mental Health during Covid-19.
4. Discrimination Helpline
On April 6, Governor Tim Walz and Lieutenant Governor Peggy Flanagan launched a Discrimination Helpline at 1-833-454-0148.This helpline reinforces the state’s efforts to protect the civil rights of Minnesotans. It allows those who experience or witness bias and discrimination to report incidents to the Minnesota Department of Human Rights. Every Minnesotan can call the Discrimination Helpline at 1-833-454-0148 or complete and submit this
5. "How to Talk to Kids About the Coronavirus" by KidsHealth from Nemours, featuring Dr. Meghan Walls. to access the link
6. Right now, more than ever, it's important to be honest about how we are feeling and listen to our loved ones. Visit for Covid 19 Wellness resource. Click here to visit the website.
AshaUSA Events during Covid 19
1. HUM Monthly Events: On April 15th AshaUSA held their monthly HUM senior meeting virtually due to covid- 19. What a wonderful virtual get together we had. Total 28 people were present. Everybody was so happy to see each other healthy and in good spirits. Everybody got a chance to check-in and share what they have been up to in the last month or so. Some of the popular activities shared were cooking for each other or family, reading, spending time with grand kids, yoga, walks in the neighborhood, doing puzzles, playing cards, stitching masks, praying or joining daily regroups for praying and bhajans, watching movies, TV shows, journaling, writing poetry, and calling family and friends.
We also sang birthday songs for group members who have March and April birthdays. Shukla uncle recited a poem he composed about Covid-19. Prem uncle shared about a book he read about Yoga.
In the meantime we pledged to keep "physical distance" but "social connection".
2. AshaUSA Webinar: Immune and emotional resilience: the need of the hour.(April 18, 2020)
The speaker was Dr. Amit Sood, One of the World's Leading Experts on Resiliency and Well being, former chair of Mayo Mind Body Initiative, at Mayo Clinic is internationally recognized for his work on resilience, wellbeing, burnout, happiness, and mindfulness. You can find tips and practices to increase emotional resilience and immunity for all age groups on his website https://www.resilientoption.com/
3. AshaUSA’s Speaker Series: Back to School 2020 - How can kids & families stay safe and healthy
during a pandemic?